CORE empowers communities by using appropriate, suitable engineering technology called “Do-nou” to maintain rural roads. Do-nou is a Japanese word, referring to Gunny bag in English.
Do-nou technology has four advantages:
- 1) Durable; road sections repaired using do-nou technology last longer,
- 2) Labour intensive thus creates employment
- 3) Uses locally available materials and tools therefore it is cheap
- 4) It is easy to learn; even semi-skilled artisans can duplicate it elsewhere with minimum supervision.
In the practical training, the main purpose is to improve road quality so that trainees learn the real process of Do-nou technology, and the residents around the target area can pass the road and it positively affects their livelihood. The procedure of Do-nou technology is shown below
- 1) Select the target road and mobilize community members.
- 2) Identify the impassable section of the road, and mobilize community members.
- 3) Material procurement; Required materials, such as the Do-nou bag (gunny bag), Murrum, and hand lammer should be procured in advance.
- 4) Bush clearing to apply Do-nou Technology more easily and effectively, the target road should be cleared.
- 5) Making Do-nou; put suitable soil in a Do-nou bag and tie it properly.
- 6) Lay and compact Do-nou; Lay the Do-nou systematically on the damaged road and compact them appropriately.
- 7) Finishing work; spread murram (soil) on top of the Do-nou layer, and compact.
- 8) Roads become passable again.
Finished road after applying Do-nou Technology
People can now access social amenities like schools, markets, hospitals. This reform improves the quality of life for the residents in this community which in-turn enhances rapid growth for a long period and contributes to reducing poverty significantly.
Benefit of Do-nou to the community
Different stakeholders benefit from access road construction using Do-nou technology.
- Empowering youth with vocational skills
- Trainees can create groups and get new projects from government.
- Improved access to social amenities